About Us | Space Available | Our Tenants
Historic Quaintance Block | Historic Piggly Wiggly | Piggly Wiggly Mural
Historic Golden Calendars | Contact Us | Home
Historic Piggly Wiggly
807-809 13th Street, Golden
Designated as a Golden historic landmark, Piggly Wiggly Store No. 29 was built by Ernest Waters in 1946 and constructed by Ralph Neal. A basic Streamline Moderne styled building, the store was an instant hit with Golden's people, with its grand opening a virtual riot with four ladies fainting in the rush. Run by W.E. "Brownie" Thornton and Ted Anderson, it featured self-service grocery aisles and meat department with the friendly icon of mascot Mr. Pig on the front. Later owned by Orin Newman, the store became independent when Piggly Wiggly pulled out of its western division in 1952, and he renamed it the Golden Gate Market, an Associated Grocers store. In its later years the store was owned by brothers Bright and Sho Hoshiko, Colorado native sons of Japanese immigrants, and after Bright passed away the store was continued by his brother who is fondly remembered by Goldenites as "Mr. Show". The building became Jeffco Blueprints office supply store in 1967, serving particularly people of the Colorado School of Mines. In 1992 it became home to the first non-mall store of the Colorado-based chain of Hatch's Books, which continued until 1999. The Piggly Wiggly was restored to its original appearance in 2017 complete with its original glass block, with the Piggly Wiggly Mural added in 2022 to fondly remember the building's fun history.