A restoration project of the Golden Landmarks Association
Golden Landmarks Association is restoring this beautiful Foursquare Romanesque brickwork house. Located on Catamount Drive on the north side of Golden Gate Canyon Road just east of the Jefferson County Shops, this little house is an unusual and ornate landmark made of several kinds of pressed and fancy shaped brick, as if meant to show off the product of the Golden Pressed & Fire Brick Works it served a century ago. Built at the dawn of the 20th Century, it served as company housing for the works, established at this location in 1890 by brothers John B. and William Church, who were among the most prominent industrialists and philanthropists in Colorado. This building housed people of high positions in the works such as the plant manager, and possibly was a model house. Shaped fancy bricks, colored bricks and other innovations catapulted the works from a regional player to national renown, eventually shipping as far away as China and Japan. The house today is one of the few remnants of an industry of which Golden was renowned for a century.
The skilled and painstaking work of Building Restoration Specialties, with architectural assistance from Donelson Architecture, transformed the outside of the Brickyard House from a greatly dilapidated state to once again being a beautiful jewel of Golden. Go see the exterior restoration diary for details on this phase of our project. Upcoming is the restoration of the interior, featuring ornamental woodwork and hardwood floors. The grounds, preserved with the house by preservation covenant, will remain in a natural state, with garden landscaping immediately around this historic home.
The unique ornamental brickwork of the Brickyard House, as seen on its west side. This house uses 7 different forms of shaped fancy brick, manufactured by the Berg brick shaping machine over 100 years ago. You can see 5 of these kinds in the photo on the left (water table brick atop the base, tiered brick topped by angular brick at the sill level, quarterpipe rimming the arches, bull-nosed curved brick at the corner).
Being the home of workers who supervised the making of bricks for over half a century, the Brickyard House is a terrific place to introduce everyone to this history of which Golden played an important part. This history covers a century of building, which supplied the materials of countless buildings and well-known landmarks across Colorado and beyond. The Brickyard House will also become the headquarters of the Golden Landmarks Association, Colorado's second oldest nonprofit historic preservation organization. Once restored, the building will also be available to the public for events!
Restoration of the beautiful exterior of the Brickyard House was funded by a $50,000 grant from the City of Golden and a $140,000 grant from the State Historical Fund. The Brickyard House is a designated historic landmark of the City of Golden, and it is GLA's goal to list it on the State and National Registers of historic places once its restoration is complete. Golden Landmarks hopes to share this building with the world for many years to come!
This project is paid for in part by grants from:
Questions? Want to offer support? Contact Golden Landmarks at 303-279-1236, or Email us!
Map location to the Brickyard House, just north of Golden Gate Canyon Road, just east of Jefferson County Shops, below the Golden City Shops.
Copyright © 2008-2017 by Gardner History & Preservation